I did it!
The illusive rainbow cake was made, pictures were taken and edited, and the tutorial is here.
So first here is the birthday girl Phoebe in all her birthday girl glory.
and here is the birthday girl's special cake.
|Right after mamma finished frosting|
Oh yeah that is a rainbow in there. My apologies to indigo, who as Phoebe reminded me, is missing. I just was not up for the seven layer cake.
So do you want to make one (or at least know how I did it?). Click on the link after the jump for directions.
You will need:
- Two boxes of white cake mix
- Food coloring (I prefer gel food covering because it creates a darker, richer color.)
- Baking pans
- Parchment paper
- Lots of buttercream - I tripled the Wilton Buttercream recipe.
- About four hours
|Mixing cakes is fun!|
- I started by mixing up two boxes of your standard white cake mix. Sure a lot of people will make there cake from scratch, it might taste better, but I have a two and now five year old. Cake mix is the way to go.
- Separate your cake mix into six separate bowls and add enough food coloring to make red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. (Fell free to make indigo, you are just more of a perfectionist then I will ever be).
- I baked three cakes at a time for about 20 minutes each. I checked at 17 minutes with a toothpick to see if they were done.
- Allow the cakes to cool for at least two hours. I cooled them overnight because I wanted to get some sleep.
- Now mix up a ton of buttercream. It will take a while, a lot of powdered sugar, and the willingness to clean up lots of the drifts of white powdered sugar all over your kitchen.
- Now for the fun part. Make sure to stack your rainbow starting with purple, frost and spread a very generous amount in between. Be careful not to drag up too many crumbs. Continue with blue, green, yellow, orange, and top with red. You want to make sure that you take your time.
- I found some awesome rainbow candles (tall) at Target to really make the cake stand out. I used the rainbow crayon art (tutorial here)
You will look like a great, loving mamma, and your guests will be in awe of your awesome rainbow cake.
|Blurry picture :(|
|The finished project.|
|Mamma loves her girl|
|Here is to another great year - Happy Fifth Phoebe|